Try These 7 Easy Care Aquarium Plants In Your Tank Now
Aquarium plants that don't need a high level of maintenance, fertilizers, c02 and lighting.
The Amazon Sword is one of those aquarium plants that takes it's place at the back of your aquarium. It's leaves are a bright shade of green that will help create a depth to your aquarium. The roots establish themselves well and the plant will spread out nicely.
The Anubias family come in various sizes and shapes. The great thing about them is that they can be tied to your decor and they will grow in place. This gives you new opportunities when it comes to planting. Just make sure not to smother the roots in the substrate as this will cause them to rot, killing your plant. Our favourite is the Anumbias Mini, or Anumbias Petite, which forms a short cluster growing leaves.
If you are looking for a plant to grow in the front of your aquarium or the midground check out this Cryptocoryne Wendtii , The colour on it is great and their leaves have a beautiful structure to them.
Another great background plant is the Hygrophila Corymbosa, a full plant which will ensure your tank look good even while the other plants are still settling in.
Another great plant that can be attached to your hardscape is Java Fern. For it's size it fills out very well and spreads nicely. It can be used to great effect in many setups.
Nymphaea Red Lotus
For something different why not try this Nymphaea lotus. It's a bulb plant which can be a great focal point in your aquarium. With it's red leaves on long stalks, often reaching the surface.
Hygrophila 'Siamensis' is another great foreground plant. which really fills out nicely. To keep the plant low pinch out the tops every so often.
Taking care of these aquarium plants
There are a few tricks to keeping these plants looking good.
- Plant a few of the same together, rather than spreading them out. Planting up groups of plants makes for a more relaxing effect.
- Use liquid c02 to give the plants a boost. It's as easy as feeding your fish and you can do it at the same time, a great one to try is Flourish Excel from Seachem.
- Another great product to use is Plantain from Tetra. This ferterliser is added to the aquarium when you do a water change just like dechlorinator.
- With plants like Amazon Sword, from the Echinodorus family root ferterlisers can really help them settle in fast. With Crypto from Tetra you simply bury the tablets in the substrate near the plants and forget about them.
- When doing your usual maintenance routine remove any dead/dying leaves. Trim back plants when needed.
Check our article on some products recommended for aquarium owners.